[Ontbirds] Whimbrels and Lark Sparrow at Colonel Samuel Smith Park, Etobicoke

Wayne Renaud wayne at renaudwebber.com
Mon May 21 09:22:59 EDT 2007

   This morning I arrived at 6:20 a.m. ... a dog flushed a flock of 27
Whimbrel of rocks at the tip of the nw peninsula (the cirled for 10 minutes
then flew northwest); none was seen when I left at 8:45 pm.  Obviously, this
marks the arrival of much greater numbers in next few days.  I suggest that
those wanting to Whimbrel in next few days get there near dawn because of
early dog-walkers.
   I found a Lark Sparrow singing on the ne edge of the line of willow
across from the weedy field sw of the Power Plant Rec. Center (very near the
edge of the parking lot).
   Noteable warblers included one Connecticut, two Mourning and eight Cape
May among the a modest nine species seen.  The Willow flycatchers are also
finally back.

Directions:
   Kipling runs directly into Colonel Sam Smith Park and adjacent Humber
College Lakeshore campus, located west of Islington and east of Brown's Line
south of the Q.E.W.

Wayne Renaud
905.274.7103 or 905.278.5813
wayne at renaudwebber.com