[Ontbirds]Possible Eurasian Whimbrel - Amherst Island

Bruce Ripley ripley at kingston.net
Tue May 22 20:00:51 EDT 2007

    At 6:00p.m. today I observed 3 WHIMBRELS from afar that were sitting at the tip of the gravel bar on the KFN property on Amherst Island.  When I arrived at the base of the gravel bar and observed them through my binoculars they took flight north over the lake when I immediately noticed that one had white on the lower back, rump and uppertail coverts.  It was very obvious while flying along side the other two Whimbrels.  I watched them for about 20 seconds as they flew away.
    Other birds of note were 7 BRANT, 1 MERLIN, 1 BUFFLEHEAD, 40 WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS and 12 species of shorebirds including 20 SHORT-BILLED DOWITCHERS and 1 RUDDY TURNSTONE.

Good Birding
Bruce Ripley
Amherstview

Directions To Amherst Island - Ontario Road Atlas, MapArt Publishing [Pg. 36, E54 & E55]

Located 18 km. west of Kingston.  Exit off Hwy. 401 at exit 593 (County Rd. 4, Camden East) and drive south to the very end (Millhaven).  Turn right on Hwy. 33 and drive 100 metres until you see the sign for the Amherst Island ferry. The ferry (20 minute trip) leaves the mainland on the half hour and leaves the island on the hour. Cost is $8.00 Canadian round trip. There are no gas stations on the island. There are restrooms on the ferry, and at the island ferry dock.  The East End K.F.N. property is at the easternmost part of the island on the east side of the Lower Forty Foot Road.  "Because of liability issues, visitors to the Kingston Field Naturalists property MUST be accompanied by a KFN member."