[Ontbirds]Black-necked Stilt - Hillman Marsh Shorebird

Todd Pepper tandjpepper at cogeco.ca
Tue May 22 20:26:00 EDT 2007

Since nobody has posted about the Black-necked Stilt since Sarah Rupert's report at 2:46 p.m., this is to report that the Stilt was still being seen at 5:00 p.m. at the Hillman Marsh Shorebird Habitat on May 22nd. There were at least 2 dozen other birders at Hillman at the time. The Stilt was flying around a bit while I was there, moving at least 3 times, so you might have to check the whole area to re-locate it.

I did not have a camera, but several others did so hopefully they will provide documentary evidence for this species to the OFO Rare Bird Records Committee as it is on the Review List for Southern Ontario. It is also the first official record for inside the Pelee Birding Area. While the species is on the Checklist of Birds for Point Pelee the previous record was from outside the official Pelee Birding Area.

In lesser news, there were two Willets on the beach east of Wheatley Harbour.

Thanks to all those who called me about the Stilt.

Todd Pepper
Leamington, Ontario
tandjpepper at cogeco.ca