[Ontbirds]Whimbrels at Port Credit

Bob and Glenda curry.slessor at sympatico.ca
Thu May 24 13:37:31 EDT 2007

Further to Wayne's post, Jim Heslop, Glenda Slessor and I watched two
flocks - 68 and 40 birds) flying off Saddington Park on the east side of the
harbour at Port Credit. These were at 7:20 and 8:10 this morning and likely
were also counted off Colonel Sam Park.

It is interesting that only on occasion to small numbers of Whimbrel stray
as far as the western end of Lake Ontario at Hamilton, generally when
conditions are foggy or there are strong easterlies.  The much reduced
numbers at Port Credit fit this pattern. Their tradition is to head off to
the NW from about Toronto. My sense, although I have no specific data to
back this up, is that those birds that move west along the north shore of
Lake Erie also head NW before or at Point Pelee and that they are much
scarcer at the extreme west end of that lake also.

Directions: QEW to Mississauga Road; south until you reach the lake.

Bob Curry

Bob Curry and Glenda Slessor
30-3115 New Street
Burlington, ON