[Ontbirds] Hamilton Naturalists Club Birding Report - Thursday, May 24th, 2007

Cheryl Edgecombe cheryle29 at cogeco.ca
Thu May 24 23:07:12 EDT 2007

On Thursday, May 24th, 2007, this is the HNC birding report:

WHIMBREL
CERULEAN WARBLER
CONNECTICUT WARBLER

Ring-necked Pheasant
Ruffed Grouse
American Bittern
Great Egret
Green Heron
Osprey
Virginia Rail
Sora
Common Moorhen
Semipalmated Plover
Upland Sandpiper
Ruddy Turnstone
Dunlin
American Woodcock
Bonaparte’s Gull
Black-billed Cuckoo
Eastern Screech Owl
Great Horned Owl
Common Nighthawk
Whip-poor-will
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Pileated Woodpecker
Eastern Wood Pewee
Alder Flycatcher
Willow Flycatcher
Warbling Vireo
Philadelphia Vireo
Red-eyed Vireo
Winter Wren
Swainson’s Thrush
Gray-cheeked Thrush
Blue-winged Warbler
Brewster’s Warbler
Nashville Warbler
Northern Parula
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Magnolia Warbler
Cape May Warbler
Black-throated Blue Warbler
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
Pine Warbler
Bay-breasted Warbler
Blackpoll Warbler
Black and White Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Mourning Warbler
Wilson’s Warbler
Canada Warbler
Scarlet Tanager
Clay-coloured Sparrow
Vesper Sparrow
Grasshopper Sparrow
Lincoln’s Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Indigo Bunting
Rose-breasted Grosbeak
Orchard Oriole

This week was busy once again with a change in migrants over to the later
migrants which pass through our area.  Since we did our birdathon last
Friday, we have a wide variety of sightings from a wide range of the
Hamilton Study area.  We were thrilled that we ended up with 143 species for
the Hamilton Study Area.

First to the goodies this week.  The end of May marks the start of WHIMBREL
migration.  Most of these birds migrate well east of here with large numbers
being seen in the Etobicoke area.  However, in the extreme east end of the
Hamilton Study Area at Port Credit, a few good sized flocks have been seen
over the past two days.  A great viewing spot is Saddington Park located at
the end of Mississauga Road.

Another great find this week was again in the warbler department with a male
CERULEAN WARBLER being seen today at Shell Park.  This bird was first heard
and then seen behind the garden allotments but throughout the day moved east
an a bit north and was found later this afternoon near the pipeline which
goes up to Rebecca Street but still in the woodlot which is at the south end
of Shell Park.  At nearby Burloak Woods along the Creek Path near the
roundabout on Great Lakes Blvd., a male CONNECTICUT WARBLER was heard and
seen this morning as well.  A number of migrants seem to be moving through
these areas this week with Ruby-throated Hummingbird, Swainson’s Thrush, a
number of Gray-cheeked Thrushes, Alder & Willow Flycatcher, Blackpoll,
Bay-breasted, Black-throated Green, Canada, Blackburnian, and Wilson’s
Warbler and Lincoln’s Sparrow.  Other birds heard singing today in Burloak
Woods were Eastern Wood Pewee, Red-eyed Vireo and Indigo Bunting,   Also in
Burloak Woods is an Eastern Screech Owl with four young, but very hard to
see in the leaves.

Down the lakeshore west of here at Shoreacres/Paletta in Burlington,
Warbling, Philadelphia and Red-eyed Vireo, Scarlet Tanager, Ovenbird,
Magnolia, lingering Yellow-rumped, Chestnut-sided, Black-throated Blue,
Mourning, Northern Parula, Blackburnian, many American Redstarts, Canada and
Wilson’s Warbler were seen in the week.

Other highlights from the birdathon were Sora and Virginia Rail at
Kerncliffe Park on Kerns Road, probably one of the best spots to see and
hear these birds and yes once again an American Bittern was flushed from the
marsh here but once again missed by yours truly.  While I was out looking
for this elusive bittern, a Common Nighthawk flew over.

Out in Flamborough Whip-poor-will could be heard from Safari Road and again
on Kirkwall Road near 6th concession.  Also, at the Rockton Sparrow field
here near Klaus Christmas Tree Farm, both Grasshopper and Clay-coloured
Sparrow were singing. American Woodcock were calling and displaying at this
rude hour of the morning.

In Hyde Tract on Safari Road east of Kirkwall, a Ruffed Grouse was flushed
and in the one degree temperature, birds could be seen perched at the very
tops of the evergreen trees there trying to catch some sun.  We should have
been perched up there too as it was a very cold start to the day.  Other
birds seen here were Pine Warbler, Cape May Warbler, Rose-breasted Grosbeak
and an extremely accommodating Scarlet Tanager.

On Lennon Road up in North Halton, a unique habitat of cedar and northern
atmosphere allows us to get some breeding species not found elsewhere in the
HSA.   This included Winter Wren, Canada Warbler, Black and White and
Nashville Warbler and many White-throated Sparrows full of song.

Shorebirds are sporadic but Least Sandpipers can be found at Valens
Conservation Area along the beach.  The storm water ponds on the North
Service Road have also dropped considerably and Least Sandpipers can be
found here as well.  At Windermere Basin a lonely Semipalmated Plover was
present in the pond and at Fifty Point both Ruddy Turnstone and Dunlin were
seen along the beach.

At Grimsby Sewage Lagoons, a pair of Common Moorhens was seen yesterday.

Up in Saltfleet at 10th Road East, two pair of Upland Sandpiper seem to have
set up shop there, a Ring-necked Pheasant was calling, and a Vesper Sparrow
was singing adding to the list for the day.  Our final bird was an Osprey
sitting on nest at Binbrook Conservation Area (good think g we had a
floodlight with us!).

In the odds & sods a Great Egret flew over York Road at Old Guelph Line, two
more were seen near McMaster University.  Green Heron flew over us in the
Beverly Swamp near 8th concession and Westover Road.  Alder Flycatcher was
also on territory at this same location.  A late Bonaparte’s Gull was seen
on the pier at Bronte Harbour.   Great Horned Owlets were spotted near Rock
Chapel.  Black-billed Cuckoo, Blue-winged and Brewster’s Warblers are
present in Berry Tract and last but not least Orchard Orioles can be found
(more than one!) at Fifty Point Conservation Area.

More migrants to come!  Please let me know what you see.  Thanks for all
your reports!

Good birding,
Cheryl Edgecombe
HNC Hotline