[Ontbirds]Huron Fringe Birding Report

mike pickup mpickup at bmts.com
Fri May 25 13:58:18 EDT 2007

Today is the first day of the Huron Fringe Birding Festival. The cloudy
rainy day did not dampen the enthusiasm of the participants as all were
eager to get started on the many hikes that are available.
On a hike around the Visitor Centre this morning, few warblers were present.
Birds seen were
Black-throated Green Warbler
Blackburnian Warbler
American Redstart
Ovenbird
Northern Waterthrush
Scarlet Tanager (pair)
White-throated Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Song Sparrow
Great-crested Flycatcher
Baltimore Oriole
American Goldfinch
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Red-eyed Vireo
Red-breasted Merganser
Common Merganser
Caspian Tern
Common Tern
Spotted Sandpiper

Birds seen earlier in the week from Kincardine area
Dunlin
Greater Yellowlegs
Spotted Sandpiper
Scarlet Tanager
Wilson's Warbler
Canada Warbler
Indigo Bunting

and from MacGregor Park
Alder Flycatcher
Belted Kingfisher
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Magnolia Warbler
Black-throated Green Warbler

Yours in birding
Mike Pickup

Directions
To reach MacGregor Point Provincial Park. From Hwy #21 south of Port Elgin,
turn west on 4th Conc. Saugeen and follow the signs to the Park.
To reach the Kincardine Lagoons. From Hwy #21 south of Kincardine, turn west
on Saratoga Rd. and follow the dirt road to a parking area at the Rail
Trail. The lagoons and trail are on the your right.
++++
The HURON FRINGE BIRDING FESTIVAL takes place every year at MacGregor Point
Provincial Park.
This year the 10th Annual Festival takes place MAY 25 TO JUNE 3, 2007 There
are over 80 events and over 40 top notch leaders. The migration corridor
along the shore of Lake Huron known as "The Huron Fringe", extending from
Kincardine to Tobermory on the Bruce Peninsula is the area we cover. Our
birding hikes, presentations and workshops are lead by very competent
birders and naturalists from all over Ontario and Michigan. All birders and
naturalists from the beginner to the more advanced will find something to
pique their interests.
Birds of Prey with Ross Snider, Sabrina and Scooter (flying Sqirrels) with
Steve Patterson, the truth about Bats with Erin Fraser and Wonderful Wings
with Chris Guglielmo a talk on migration are some of the evening events that
naturalists will find entertaining.

To find out more about our program and down load a registration form, visit
the Friends of MacGregor Point web site.

Spaces on our some of our events are still available. Sign up at the Park.
http://www.friendsofmacgregor.org
(Click on "Birding Festival" and then on "Events")

for accommodation in Saugeen Shores visit
http://www.sunsets.com