[Ontbirds]Lake Erie Shore - Whimbrel, other shorebirds, ducks

Willie D'Anna & Betsy Potter dannapotter at wzrd.com
Sat May 26 19:45:03 EDT 2007

On the Lake Erie shore between Rock Point Prov. Park and Fort Erie, Betsy
Potter, Bill Watson, and I had 12 species of shorebirds, including the
following:
60 Whimbrel at Rock Point, 74 at Morgan's Point, 17 at Windmill Point.  All
of these birds were sitting except for 54 in two groups flying west past
Rock Point early in the morning.
2 Sanderlings, 3 Ruddy Turnstones, 1 White-rumped Sandpiper at Rock Point.
1 White-rumped Sandpiper at Windmill Point (foot of Stonemill Rd).
3 Ruddy Turnstones at Windmill Point plus one at Crescent Beach.
A few hundred Semi. Sandpipers, groups seen at most beaches.
A few dozen Dunlin, scattered locations.
2 Least Sandpipers.
2 Greater Yellowlegs at Windmill Point.
Other shorebirds: Semi. Plover, Killdeer, Lesser Yellowlegs, Spotted
Sandpiper.
1 drake Green-winged Teal was at the foot of Kraft Rd.
1 Red-headed Woodpecker was at the foot of Stonemill Rd.
1 drake Bufflehead was at Rock Point.

At the Mosaic Ponds, as viewed from Rymer Rd (about 1 km north of Rock
Point):
2 Ruddy Ducks, 1 drake Bufflehead, 1 drake No. Shoveler, 1 hen Canvasback, 1
White-rumped Sandpiper.
In addition here we had 2 drake scaup which, from a distance, we thought
were Greaters.  With a closer view, however, they appeared to have a slight
crest on the rear crown though this was not the highest point on the head.
In general the head shape seemed like a Greater with a more forward high
crown point and a flat crown but the slight crest was something I have not
noticed before on a Greater (a bump, yes, but not a slight crest).  I am
unsure which species these were.  Could these be Lesser Scaup undergoing
molt already?  If anyone can shed light on this, please respond privately.

Directions:
Rock Point Prov. Park is on Lake Erie north of Dunnville, Ont.  Follow signs
from Hwy #3 in Dunnville.

Good birding!
Willie
Willie D'Anna