[Ontbirds] Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow?, Gordon Richards Park, Whitby

Don Sands gentlewolfe2003 at yahoo.com
Sun Jun 17 07:57:56 EDT 2007

Don Sands here...

  At Gordon Richards Park, along the Waterfront Trail, I observed a small sparrow fitting the description of the Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow, both plummage and song. I have never seen one before so I am hestitant to be dogmatic re: ID.

  The bird was very tame and allowed me to get within 2 metres of it.

  I have come to this conclusion based on comparing ID points at this site.

  http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/548/_/Nelsons_Sharp-tailed_Sparrow.aspx

  Access to the Gordon Richards Park: Park at Thicksons Point and walk west along the Waterfront Trail. Signs indicate when you arrive at the Park. The sparrow was the north side of the trail.

  I would appreciate reports of others who see this bird. Thanks.