[Ontbirds]Bronte Red-necked Grebes

Gavin Edmondstone sue-gavin at sympatico.ca
Sun Jul 29 22:02:19 EDT 2007

The Red-necked Grebes nesting in Bronte Harbour are continuing to incubate.
As of this evening there were a total of five eggs. Four of these eggs are
heavily soiled and one is fairly white indicating that it was only laid a
few days ago.

There has obviously been some egg loss. On June 10 there were seven eggs.
They have been incubating since at least May 7. We heard a third-hand report
that there was a hatching two weeks ago by that the chick was taken by a
gull.

An Osprey flew by while we were watching the grebes.

Directions: Exit the QEW at Bronte Rd. (Oakville) and go to the lake and
turn left, the only option. The nest is just east of the Lighthouse
Restaurant.

Gavin Edmondstone
Oakville, Ontario