[Ontbirds] egret,rail and some good songbirds at Cranberry in southwest Whitby-July30/07

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Mon Jul 30 16:46:30 EDT 2007

It has been a long time since I reported, what with a relative dearth of birds along the Whitby waterfront and  visiting my wife in long-term care facility in Uxbridge. I DO HOPE OTHERS WILL STEP FORWARD FOR REPORTING, PARTICULARLY WHEN THE MIGRATORY RAPTOR SEASON COMMENCES--LATE AUGUST.
I am happy to report that CLOCA has refurbished the floors of the platforms overlooking Cranberry. Also, more water in the wetland has brought in waterfowl, and a diedown of cattails has made sighting better.
I am concentrating on photographing flowering plants, and will have several "albums" for viewing by you.

Now then--some of the birds for Monday am, July 30, sighted by Gunner Bessel, Neil Macdougall and I : Red-eyed vireo, BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER, Great Crested Flycatcher, Eastern Kingbird, Baltimore Oriole, Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, and in or over the wetland--several Great Blue Herons, 1 GREAT EGRET, 2 Black-crowned Night Herons, VIRGINIA RAIL, Kingfisher.

>From the west, exit the 401 at Salem Rd. (in Ajax), south to Bayly, east through LakeRidge Rd. to the first street (Hall's Rd.), south towards the lakefront; 2 roadside parking areas allow you to walk east towards the platforms.
>From the east--exit the 401 at Brock St. (in Whitby), south to Victoria St., west past the Iroquois Sports Centre and Sobey's Warehouses, across the causeway to Hall's Rd.

Doug Lockrey, Whitby,ON