[Ontbirds]Shorebirds - Port Perry Lagoons

Jean Iron jeaniron at sympatico.ca
Sat Aug 18 18:39:32 EDT 2007

Today we birded the Port Perry Sewage Lagoons with Kevin McLaughlin
of Hamilton. Shorebirding was excellent. The two westernmost lagoons
have lots of mudflats and shallow pools. We saw 13 species of shorebirds.

SHOREBIRDS

Red-necked Phalarope: one bright juvenile (our first of the year)
swimming in second lagoon, often close to Bonaparte's Gulls and ducks.

Baird's Sandpiper: one juvenile. This individual was a grey extreme
with very little buff colour. Our first juvenile was at Rock Point
Provincial Park on 11 August.

White-rumped Sandpiper: one molting adult. First juveniles expected
in mid-September.

Pectoral Sandpiper: six adults and two juveniles (our first juveniles
of the year).

Short-billed Dowitcher: one juvenile. Juvenile Long-billed not
expected until after mid-September.

Least Sandpiper: common, all juveniles except for two adults.

Semipalmated Sandpiper: one adult and five juveniles.

Solitary Sandpiper: five including one fresh spangled juvenile. Our
first juvenile of the year was on the OFO trip on 11 August.

Lesser Yellowlegs: common, all juveniles except for a few molting adults.

Greater Yellowlegs: two adults and two juveniles (our first juveniles
the year).

Spotted Sandpiper: several juveniles.

Semipalmated Plover: several adult and two juveniles (our first
juvenile of the year).

Killdeer: common, both adults and juveniles.

SOME OTHER BIRDS

Bonaparte's Gull: +/- 700 mostly molting adults. We estimated about
10% were juveniles (this plumage is not illustrated in most field
guides) suggesting a good breeding season.

Black Tern: one molting adult (still quite black overall) feeding two
begging juveniles.

Bufflehead: two female-like individuals that appeared to be juveniles.

Hooded Mergansers: two female-like individuals that may have been
juveniles (not seen close enough to be certain).

Northern Shoveler: one female with two small young.

Ruddy Duck: one female.

Directions adapted from Geoff Carpentier's posts: Permit needed to
enter lagoons. Cost $5.00 at Durham Region Transfer Site located at
1623 Reach Street, Port Perry, open Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and
Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. and Thursday from 8:00 a.m. to 6
p.m. Directions to transfer station: travel north on Hwy 12 past Port
Perry (Hwy 7A) to next traffic lights (Durham  Road 8 = Reach Street)
and travel east to #1623 on north side of  road. Directions to
lagoons: located one road north of the transfer site east off Hwy 12
on dirt road Scugog Line 8. Both roads are numbered "8", but they are
two different roads. The lagoon road isn't paved.

Jean Iron and Ron Pittaway
Toronto ON
jeaniron at sympatico.ca