[Ontbirds] Dickcissels at West Perth Community Wetlands (Formerly Mitchell Sewage Lagoons) Mitchell, ON

David Gascoigne and Miriam Bauman theospreynest at sympatico.ca
Sun Aug 19 13:01:33 EDT 2007

We birded the above area for about two hours this morning. The temperature was a cool 14 degrees with 100% cloud cover and slight rain at times.
There were two outstanding highlights. The two Red-necked Phalaropes reported earlier were still present feeding at a phalarope-frenzied pace, but the most unexpected sighting and without a doubt THE highlight was a party of three Dickcissels. These birds were perched on the chain link fence over by the white factory at the far end of the wetlands, where a new "road" is being constructed. We observed these birds for about five minutes when they flew off and we lost them.  One of them seemed to have his hormonal network out of sync since he displayed to the others and at one point even tried to mount one of the others. The birds flew off in the direction of surrounding fields so they are probably still in the area.
Following is a list of the species we saw:
Rock Pigeon - 4
Barn Swallow - Common
Killdeer - 10+
Lesser Yellowlegs - Common
Greater Yellowlegs - 2
Pectoral Sandpiper - 9 (Possibly more)
Short-billed Dowitcher - 2
Semipalmated Plover - 3
Least Sandpiper - 25+
Tree Swallow - 12+
Cliff Swallow - Common
Red-necked Phalarope - 2
Bobolink - 100+
American Goldfinch - 50+
Spotted Sandpiper - 2
Northern Shoveler - 2
American Crow - 2
House Finch - 10+
DICKCISSEL    - 3
Ring-billed Gull - 3
House Sparrow 2
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 1
Mallard - abundant
Canada Gose - 8
European Starling - Common

David Gascoigne and Miriam Bauman

Directions: Follow Highway 8 west from Stratford until you get to the town of Mitchell. Go past the Tim Horton's and proceed to the first traffic light. This is Wellington Street. Turn left and go right to the end which will land you in the parking lot for the wetlands.