[Ontbirds]Long-tailed and Parasitic Jaegers at Van Wagners Beach

Rob Dobos rdobos at cogeco.ca
Fri Aug 31 18:38:27 EDT 2007

It was a good afternoon for lakewatching at Hamilton's Van Wagners Beach
today (Aug. 31) with light easterly winds and clear conditions.  First, at
1:10 pm, Dave Don had an adult Long-tailed Jaeger with full tail streamers
go by.  Later, at 2:15, Dave and I had another adult Long-tailed Jaeger,
this one totally lacking its tail streamers.  From 3:20 to 4:00, joined by
Barry and Linda Cherriere, we had at least two different juvenile Parasitic
Jaegers in view several times.  Finally, at 5:00 we had three distant
jaegers fly straight inland farther down the beach; while we weren't able to
positively ID these, one of the birds was distinctly larger than the other
two.

Directions: To reach Van Wagners Beach, take the Centennial Parkway (Hwy.
20) exit from the QEW in east Hamilton and proceed north to the North
Service Rd., turn left and continue west as it turns into Van Wagners Road.
Continue to the parking lots at either Hutch's Restaurant or the Lakeland
Centre viewing tower and view the lake anywhere near here.

Rob Dobos
Dundas, ON
rdobos at cogeco.ca