[Ontbirds]Buff-breasted Sandpiper,18 species of warblers Presqu'ile

Andrew Don adon14 at cogeco.ca
Sun Sep 2 11:12:52 EDT 2007

Yesterday on a trip to Presqu'ile Provincial Park the Peel Birding Club found a Buff-breasted sandpiper around 1:30pm on a sandbank just to the west of Owen Point. We watched it for a few minutes then it flew back further up on Gull Island. Only other shorebirds at the time were 5 semipalmated plovers and a least sandpiper.
 Also in the morning we saw 18 species of warblers around the lighthouse including northern parula, blackpoll, canada warbler, wilson's warbler and tennessee warbler and also spotted black-billed cuckoo, scarlet tanagers, 4 types of vireos including blue-headed and philadelphia, and a great crested flycatcher.
Was a very good fall birding day by all there.

Directions taken from Fred:
To reach Presqu'ile Provincial Park, follow the signs from Brighton.
Locations within the Park are shown on a map at the back of a tabloid
that is available at the Park gate.  Access to the offshore islands is
restricted at this time of year to prevent disturbance to the colonial
nesting birds there.