[Ontbirds]HSR: Holiday Beach (02 Sep 2007) 101 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sun Sep 2 22:09:13 EDT 2007

Holiday Beach
Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 02, 2007

Turkey Vulture              20             21             21
Osprey                       7             25             25
Bald Eagle                   1              1              1
Northern Harrier            12             30             30
Sharp-shinned Hawk          33            100            100
Cooper's Hawk                8              8              8
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk           12             60             60
Red-tailed Hawk              2             18             18
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel             1             13             13
Merlin                       0              0              0
Peregrine Falcon             0              0              0
Unknown                      5              5              5

Total:                     101            281            281

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Cindy Isenhoff

Observers:        Ted Harms

Visitors:
Visitors from near and far today.  With the holiday weekend we had brief
visits to the tower from many picinicers and campers.  Our visitors who
signed in were Ted Harms from IL, Bev Murray and Scott Sullivan from
Mexico, Mary Lynn and Michael Baillargeon from Windsor, and Rodolfo Pazma.
Many thanks to all who visited for helping a "slow day" go by.

Weather:
Day two of the hawk count brought clear blue skies, winds variable but less
than 2 mph the entire day, and lots of sun.  Temps started at 17.4 C and
went up to 28.1 C in the last hour.

Raptor Observations:
A slow day in Raptor movement due to the combination of weather conditions
and the early date.  We saw a suprising number of Turkey Vulture that
appeared to be moving thru today. Just a spattering of other hawks.

Non-raptor Observations:
Song birds were everywhere in the Marsh today.  Many American Gold Finch,
Cedar Wax Wings, Barn Swallows and Red Winged Black Birds.  We had a few
Belted King Fisher, a singing Carolina Wren, several Chimney Swifts, and
the song bird of the day a Yellow Bellied Fly Catcher.