[Ontbirds] Juvenile Peregrine, Baird's Sandpiper, Plovers at West Perth Wetlands (Mitchell)

Dave Brown thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca
Sun Oct 7 23:53:10 EDT 2007

Hi All,

The shorebird species variety was still quite good at the West Perth Wetlands (Mitchell) today...at least until a juvenile Peregrine made a couple of hunting passes and scared everything up into the air!!  Note that there's still good shorebird habitat in all celss...although the lack of rain has certainly left things drier than I've seen in years.  :)

Reported by Mark Cunningham, Jason McGuire and myself:

Black-bellied Plover   - 2 flocks of 12 and 8
Lesser Golden Plover   - 3 flocks of 17, 10 and 8
Baird's Sandpiper      - 1
Short-billed Dowitcher - 2 (primarily identified by call)
Long-billed Dowitcher  - 1 (primarily identified by call)
Lesser Yellowlegs      - 30+
Greater Yellowlegs     - 10
Pectoral Sandpiper     - 2 flocks of 30+ and 6
Dunlin                 - 10
Common Snipe           - 2
Least Sandpiper        - 10+
Killdeer               - 50+

Other sightings of interest:

Rusty Blackbird        - 3
Bobolink               - 1
Peregrine              - 1
                         This is the 3rd sighting of a juvenile Peregrine at this location over the years.
                         In previous cases they occurred during this same 1st week of October.

American Pipit         - 50+ in a couple of the cells

Good Birding!
Dave J Brown
Mitchell, ON

thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca

Directions to West Perth Wetlands (Mitchell):

>From the East (Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, GTA) - take Hwy 8 thru
Stratford heading west to first lights in Mitchell (Wellington St) and
turn left (south) and continue till you hit the "T" intersection at the
ball diamond.  Lagoon cells are straight back behind the ball diamond
and soccer fields and the sewage treatment plant.  You can go straight ahead
on the gravel and park next to the berm.

>From the London area....take Hwy 23 into Mitchell from the south and
just after you pass the "Welcome to Mitchell" sign...watch for Frank
St...go right on Frank St and head down over the bridge till you get to
the ball diamond (will be on your right).  Again...the cells are behind
the ball diamond and soccer fields. You can go straight ahead
on the gravel and park next to the berm.

>From Southampton area....take Hwy 21, to Goderich and then Hwy 8 to
Clinton and down to Mitchell, turn south on Hwy 23 to Frank St. and turn
left on Frank St. and head over the bridge to the ball diamonds (which
will be on your right). You can go straight ahead on the gravel and park
next to the berm.