[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (08 Oct 2007) 72 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Tue Oct 9 02:10:40 EDT 2007

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 08, 2007

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0             18            260
Osprey                       0             15            200
Bald Eagle                   2             21            266
Northern Harrier             5            161           1393
Sharp-shinned Hawk          50           1203          10649
Cooper's Hawk                1             42            231
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              2              3
Broad-winged Hawk            0              1          41012
Red-tailed Hawk              0              0             51
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            11            197           3899
Merlin                       0             20            212
Peregrine Falcon             3             98            128
Unknown                                                    9

Total:                      72           1778          58313

Observation start time: 06:30:00
Observation end   time: 13:00:00
Total observation time: 6.5 hours

Official Counter: Su Ross-Redmond

Observers:        Jason McGuire, Keith Sealy, Mark Cunningham, Mary Carnahan

Visitors:
A few visitors:  Brian and Kandyd Naylor from North Bay(first time out) and
furthest away today Stan Olson and his wife from Abbotsford B.C.

Weather:
Lots of cloud cover to start the day and then it broke out by mid morning.
Still very warm and with very high humidity....temp hit 22 C but felt more
like 30 in the direct sun. Hard to believe it's October!! Winds were
non-existent to start and then were light from the NE to the SW and then
the W.

Raptor Observations:
A very small flight today...more typical of these hot humid days with light
winds. Only 72 birds total for the day...highlight being the 3 Peregrines.

Non-raptor Observations:
Lots of little birds - not so many hawks!

Some of the warblers and others seen today were:
Black-throated blue
Black-throated green
Yellow-rumps (lots of them)
Orange-crowned
Blackpoll

W.B. Nuthatch
Bl Cap. Chickadee (15-20)
Tufted Titmouse
Rufous-sided Towhee
Brown Creeper
Downy Woodpeckers
Red-bellied Woodpecker

Flocks of Jays, Starlings, Red-wings, Grackles and Goldfinch. Good number
of Monarchs too.

Predictions:
If the prediction of NW winds holds for Tuesday morning then we may get a
bit more of a flight...and perhaps a few more Red-shoulders or our first
Goshawk of the season.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to the
right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley. As
you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road with
a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to the
first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line. Follow
Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at Hawkes
Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area