[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (11 Oct 2007) 4512 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Thu Oct 11 19:10:31 EDT 2007

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 11, 2007

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture            2864           3613           3855
Osprey                       1             19            204
Bald Eagle                   9             33            278
Northern Harrier            64            331           1563
Sharp-shinned Hawk        1080           2839          12285
Cooper's Hawk               64            124            313
Northern Goshawk             5              5              5
Red-shouldered Hawk         60             67             68
Broad-winged Hawk            1              3          41014
Red-tailed Hawk            294            317            368
Rough-legged Hawk            1              1              1
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            61            595           4297
Merlin                       1             26            218
Peregrine Falcon             2            104            134
Unknown                      5              5             14

Total:                    4512           8082          64617

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Colin Horstead, Su Ross-Redmond

Observers:        Barry Cherriere, Dave Brown, Dave Verkley, Ernie Gribble,
                  Kay Janssen, Linda Cherriere, Mark Cunningham,
                  Mary Carnahan, Ronnie Goodhand, Su Ross-Redmond

Visitors:
Quite a few visitors today...and several of the usual suspects to help spot
and count the birds. Thanks to everybody that came out today to help. :)

Weather:
Just a bit of a cloud bank to the east to start this morning...then
breaking out to mainly sunny skies. Then by noon we started to see the
buildup of cumulus clouds indicating some good thermals in the area. Temp
was much cooler today to a high of just 16...with moderate N winds making
it feel a bit colder than that.

Raptor Observations:
The flight today was quite good with a total of 4,512 birds. Our first good
movement of Red-shoulders with 60 and a definite movement of TV's today
with 2,869 and Sharpies with 1,080.

We actually had 14 of our usual 15 species today...the only exception
being Golden Eagle. We got our first Goshawks today with 5 and our first
Roughleg of the season. We also had a couple of Peregrines and singles of
Broadwing, Osprey and Merlin.

Non-raptor Observations:
Still lots of warblers and other passerines hanging around the hawkwatch
area....including a Tufted Titmouse that was heard but not seen.

Predictions:
Winds are predicted as NW for Friday morning with a slight chance of
rain...otherwise fair. If we can stay away from any rain I think we'll have
another decent flight.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to the
right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley. As
you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road with
a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to the
first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line. Follow
Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at Hawkes
Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area