[Ontbirds]Eared Grebes, Sandhill Cranes - Eastern Ontario

Tony Beck beck.tony at sympatico.ca
Thu Oct 11 18:53:20 EDT 2007

Hello Ontbirders

It was cold and wet this afternoon.
But, I ventured out anyway.

There were 19 Sandhill Cranes (including 3 juveniles) along the west
side of Milton Rd.
Upon my arrival, there was a flock of 13 (2 juveniles), across from
the dog kennel, and two other flocks of 3 each (one with a juvenile),
in the field northwest of the kennel.
During the observation, 8 individuals broke away from the 13 and
mixed with the others.
Like previous years, I expect these numbers to increase as the season
progresses.

Directions courtesy of Neily World: http://ca.geocities.com/
larry.neily at rogers.com/merblu7.htm

 From Highway 417 (The Queensway) take exit 96 (Boundary Road).
Proceed 2.0 km NNW on Boundary Road to Russell Road (Regional 26).
Turn right or ESE onto Russell and drive 3.5 km to Milton Road
(Regional 31). Turn left or NNW on Milton Road. The cranes are
usually in the fields northwest of Perrault.

At the Alfred Lagoons, we were very fortunate to see all 6 Eared
Grebes at various places around the east cell.
The observation was made from the viewing tower.
They are very active and usually spread out.
It took about a half hour of observing before we saw all six birds
when groups of four and two came together, each group at opposite
ends of the lagoon.
Of course, it was wet and miserable throughout the observation - But
what a reward.

I wish to thank Jacques Bouvier for providing helpful information.

Directions courtesy of Neily World: http://ca.geocities.com/
larry.neily at rogers.com/alfred.htm

 From the Alfred Bog boardwalk, turn right or ENE onto Concession 11
Road and follow it as it turns north, then NNW. Continue for 1.5 km
until it reaches Concession 10 Road, then turn right or ENE onto it
and drive 2.0 km to Peat Moss Road. Turn left or NNW onto it and go
about 3 km to the lagoons. They are on the right or east side of the
road. Look for the viewing tower.

NEW ACCESS: The Township council of Alfred and Plantagenet have
constructed an elevated viewing platform for birders at the north end
of the lagoon. This tower provides an excellent view and is free. To
actually get inside, new access procedures were put in place in May
2005, when a birder's gate with combination lock was installed.
Birders must purchase a $20 annual permit to access the lagoons. This
new seasonal permit allows access to the lagoons anytime from early
spring to late fall, 7 days a week, and from dawn to dusk without
needing to be accompanied by the by-law officer. Groups will need a
$20 permit for the day. To find out when and where you can purchase
your annual permit please phone Richard Villeneuve, Township of
Alfred and Plantagenet, at (613) 679-2292.

Cheerio

Tony Beck
158-B Woodridge Cr.,
Ottawa, Ont.