[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (12 Oct 2007) 4776 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Sat Oct 13 23:10:35 EDT 2007

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 12, 2007

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture            3766           7379           7621
Osprey                       0             19            204
Bald Eagle                  15             48            293
Northern Harrier            71            403           1635
Sharp-shinned Hawk         584           3423          12869
Cooper's Hawk               30            154            343
Northern Goshawk             1              6              6
Red-shouldered Hawk         63            130            131
Broad-winged Hawk            3              6          41017
Red-tailed Hawk            181            498            549
Rough-legged Hawk            0              1              1
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            58            653           4355
Merlin                       4             30            222
Peregrine Falcon             0            105            135
Unknown                                     5             14

Total:                    4776          12860          69395

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Dave Brown

Observers:        Barry Cherriere, Linda Cherriere, Matt Oswald,
                  Su Ross-Redmond, Tom Thomas, Wayne Parnall

Visitors:
A good number of visitors today..our thanks to everyone for helping spot
the birds...including Eleanor Page (London, England), Rebecca Zarza
(Paraguay) and Ross Wood...all down from Long Point where they're currently
banding birds. Also Ron Ridout (Port Rowan - BSC), Norm Jackson, Lynda and
Ron Goodridge (Fort Erie), Ann Toner and Sandra Van Hulleaar (Hamilton),
Mario Farantino and John McKeeman (London) and Bruce and Anne Falls
(Toronto) and Reinhold P.

Weather:
Very cool to start with temp of 4 C and then getting up to a high of just
10. Light NW winds that eventually got to moderate in strength. Lots of
cloud cover the whole day but with some good breaks of blue.

Raptor Observations:
A good flight again today with a total of 4,776 birds...the majority of
which were TV's with 3,766 and Sharpies with 584. Good numbers of
Red-shoulders today with 63 and Cooper's Hawks with 30. Had 3 late
Broadwings and the first real push of Redtails with 181.

Non-raptor Observations:

Predictions:
Keep an eye on Sunday...predicted moderate NW winds and lots of sun and
cloud should make for a good flight.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to the
right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley. As
you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road with
a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to the
first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line. Follow
Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at Hawkes
Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area