[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (14 Oct 2007) 4454 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Tue Oct 16 00:10:31 EDT 2007

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Oct 14, 2007

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture            3441          11697          11939
Osprey                       0             19            204
Bald Eagle                  10             64            309
Northern Harrier            35            473           1705
Sharp-shinned Hawk         640           4186          13632
Cooper's Hawk               36            190            379
Northern Goshawk             4             12             12
Red-shouldered Hawk         80            216            217
Broad-winged Hawk            1              7          41018
Red-tailed Hawk            171            696            747
Rough-legged Hawk            1              2              2
Golden Eagle                 3              3              3
American Kestrel            25            690           4392
Merlin                       4             38            230
Peregrine Falcon             3            108            138
Unknown                                     5             14

Total:                    4454          18406          74941

Observation start time: 06:00:00
Observation end   time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 10 hours

Official Counter: Colin Horstead, Dave Brown, Jennifer Lyon

Observers:        Alf Rider, Derek Lyon, Mac McAlpine, Mark Cunningham,
                  Mary Carnahan, Matt Oswald, Ronnie Goodhand, Shay Redmond,
                  Su Ross-Redmond, Wayne Parnall

Visitors:
Quite a few visitors today including several folks that were on their way
back from the OFO weekend at Pt. Pelee. The names I managed to get were Bob
and Gail Steer (London Camera Club), Bruce and Ann Falls (Toronto), Faye
and Joanne Socholotiuk (Lawrence Station), Dennis and Gwen Lewington
(Stoney Creek) and Jim and Judy Cook (London). Thanks to all those that
were out to help spot and count today.

Weather:
The day started with virtually no cloud...then cloud moving down from the
NW by midday. Temp was cooler to a high of 15...though it felt colder with
the moderate NW winds for most of the day.

Raptor Observations:
With the NW winds we saw a good flight of birds today...the total was
4,454. The big highlight for the day was our first Golden Eagles with 3.
Also had another single Roughleg (light morph) and 4 more Northern Goshawks
(including one adult right on the deck). W.e managed to spot 14 of our
usual 15 species today including a single Broadwing...the only species we
missed was Osprey

Non-raptor Observations:

Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to the
right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley. As
you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road with
a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to the
first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line. Follow
Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at Hawkes
Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area