[Ontbirds] TUNDRA SWANS, N.Flicker,Redpolls et al at Cranberry, southwest Whitby-Nov.14

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Wed Nov 14 15:29:35 EST 2007

The morning hours at Cranberry in southwest Whitby were drizzly and misty. Around noonhour Geoff Carpentier saw a change in the conditions, thereby going down to the Hall's Rd. platform--after 3+ hours he had at least 35 non-raptors, including 7 TUNDRA SWANS flying through. Some of the others--2 Common Redpolls, 1 Northern Flicker, 2 Fox Sparrows.
Noting the medium NW to W winds and a rising BP we felt there might be a fly-through of migrating raptors. Bearing in mind that the TUV was under 100ft./min. this thought remained doubtful. I left Geoff by himself at 3pm. Therefore I do not have a complete raptor count--up to then he had counted a few of each of Red-taileds and Sharp-shinneds, and 1 Turkey Vulture.

Doug Lockrey, Whitby,ON