[Ontbirds]Niagara River - Sunday, Nov 25

Willie D'Anna and Betsy Potter dannapotter at roadrunner.com
Mon Nov 26 05:58:41 EST 2007

The number of Bonaparte's Gulls continues well below average but definitely
increasing.  The number of large gulls is also well below average.  Few
highlights today.  One adult THAYER'S GULL, still in primary molt, on the
breakwall below the control gates above the falls.  One adult ICELAND GULL
at the power plants on the lower river.  About 5-6 adult LESSER BLACK-BACKED
GULLS, most seen above the falls.  Two PURPLE SANDPIPERS above the falls on
a rock a couple hundred yards out from a point between the Ontario Hydro
Building (the Engineerium) and the gatehouse, which is a couple hundred
yards further upstream.  (This is the same rock that these birds have been
seen on for the past few years.)

Several folks spent a considerable amount of time looking for the
Black-headed Gull that was found yesterday in the Fort Erie/Buffalo area of
the river.  As far as I am aware, it was not seen today.  However, a
second-winter LITTLE GULL was reported between the Railroad bridge and the
Peace Bridge.  Two RED-NECKED and three HORNED GREBES were also in Fort Erie
and a few TUNDRA SWANS were seen on the drive from Fort Erie to Niagara
Falls.  I suspect that there were other gulls of note seen today but I have
not received all the reports from people who were out there.

A flock of 20 PINE GROSBEAKS was seen this morning at the fruiting
ornamental trees at the Robert Moses Parkway entrance to Fort Niagara S.P.
in Youngstown, NY.

Good birding!
Willie
Willie D'Anna