[Ontbirds]redpolls, white-rumped sandpiper, horned larks, perhaps a longspur--3 locales in Whitby--Nov.26/07

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Mon Nov 26 16:26:04 EST 2007

Hall's Rd., Cranberry Marsh Raptor Watch platform--several Common Redpolls, white-throated sparrow, swamp sparrow, 3 wild turkeys;  at 0945--Jim Fairchild's keen ears heard what was possibly a Lapland Longspur as it flew over us--it was not white and "did not sound like a Snow Bunting". We had only 6 migrating raptors--2 Red-taileds, 3 Rough-leggeds and 1 SAm.Kestrel. Our count stands at 10,887.

Pringle Creek mudflats west of Brock St. S. in Whitby (south 0.5km. from Victoria St.)--a WHITE-RUMPED SANDPIPER.

Manured fields along the west side of Cochrane St. immediately north of Highway 7--I only watched from my car for 10 minutes, therefore not giving myself a chance to fully ID the flocks of birds cavorting over the fields--HORNED LARKS were definitely noted.

Doug Lockrey, Whitby