[Ontbirds] "Migrating Line" of 3 Gannets - Fifty Point C.A. Grimsby. Nov 27

Holden Family holden.ontbirds at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 19:48:33 EST 2007

Birders,

Today my Dad and I watched a large Red-breasted Merganser feeding group east
of Fifty Point C.A. in Grimsby for several hours. Around 1pm, Three juv.
Northern Gannets flew east past Kelson Rd, close to shore, in a very tight
"line". The Sibley Guide shows that gannets migrate in lines, so I decided
to call it a "Migrating Line". Something I had only seen before on the
Atlantic Ocean!

We had a few Gannet sightings earlier in the day, along with at least 3
Lesser Black-backed Gulls, 1 Iceland Gull and several Red-throated Loons.

Unfortunately, I didn't have my camera with me when the 3 Gannets flew past
in the tight line, however I did snap some distant pictures of an earlier
bird. Shots of the bird can be seen at the top of my "whats new" page on my
website: http://www.peregrineprints.com/ind__WhatsNew.htm

If you wish to reply to me, please send the e-mail to peregrine13 at gmail.com

Good Birding!

Brandon Holden

Directions:

Fifty Point: QEW Niagara, exit at Fifty Road  (between Fruitland Road and
Casablanca Road Grimsby) towards the lake and follow the signs to Fifty
Point Conservation Area. Kelson rd. is one Road to the east. Other vantage
points to the east were found by driving along the lakeshore.