[Ontbirds]Slaty-backed Gull (No) - Eganville

Bruce Ripley ripley at kingston.net
Wed Nov 28 16:21:16 EST 2007

    Just returned from Eganville where we spent from 10:30a.m. to 1:00p.m. looking for the SLATY-BACKED GULL.  Although we observed several GLAUCOUS and ICELAND GULLS, we did not see the bird we wanted.  We did see a GOLDEN EAGLE fly over the landfill site and on the way home we had a perched BALD EAGLE eyeing a beaver carcass that was on the highway close to Roblin.

Cheers
Bruce Ripley
Amherstview

To enter the landfill as a guest, call ahead (613-735-7537) to the landfilland ask for Elizabeth Graham.  She has some rules and wants everyone tocheck in at the entry office.  You wait for the green light and then driveup on the scales to check in.  The best time to visit is between 11 AM and 1PM.  You shouldn't leave your car unless you are wearing certified safetygear.  It is also a good idea to stay in your car and use it as a blind,driving near the gulls very slowly.  Scope from the window, althoughbinoculars are sometimes enough.  Other gulls at the landfill are HEGU,GBBG, RBGU and GLGU.To get to the landfill, drive north of Eganville staying on Hwy 41 for about14 km., then turn left on B-Line Rd.  Go about 2 km. travelling around acurve to the left and at the end of the curve turn left onto County Rd 56,also called Woito Station Road.  The landfill is on your right about 3 km.down Cty Rd 56.