[Ontbirds] GANNET, 5 Common Redpolls, Flicker, 18 Wild Turkeys, 19 migrating raptors at Cranberry Marsh,southwest Whitby-28 Nov 2007

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Wed Nov 28 16:53:52 EST 2007

 Cranberry Marsh, southwest Whitby, Ontario
Daily Raptor Counts: Nov 28, 2007 (see table below)--TOTAL with 2 days to
go--10,934
Observation time: 9am to 12 noon, and 2pm to 3pm
Official Counter:        Geoff Carpentier
Observers:        Dan Kaczynski, Doug Lockrey, Jim Skene, Jody Melanson
Weather: light N winds became medium SE; falling BP; -4C

Non-raptor Observations: 1 juvenile GANNET flew over at 1130; 5 Common
Redpolls; 1
N.Flicker; 18 Wild Turkeys on Hall's Rd.

Raptor Observations: During the first hour we observed "several"
Rough-legged Hawks hovering to the east (all were light morphs) --over the
rest of the watch, including 1 mid-afternoon hour, they "elected" to come
through westerly. WE HAVE 2 OFFICIAL DAYS REMAINING--AGAIN, ALLOW ME TO
THANK EVERYONE WHO HAS HELPED WITH THE COUNT, FROM AUG.18 TO NOV.28.

> Species            Day's Count    Month Total   Season Total
> ------------------ ----------- -------------- --------------
> Black Vulture                0              0              0
> Turkey Vulture               0             10           2264
> Osprey                       0              0            167
> Bald Eagle                   0              4             53
> Northern Harrier             1             22            234
> Sharp-shinned Hawk           0             78           2107
> Cooper's Hawk                0             23            120
> Northern Goshawk             0              7              9
> Red-shouldered Hawk          0             13             35
> Broad-winged Hawk            0              0           3185
> Red-tailed Hawk              5           1228           1848
> Rough-legged Hawk           12             97            102
> Golden Eagle                 0              5              8
> American Kestrel             1             20            626
> Merlin                       0              2             27
> Peregrine Falcon             0              3             42
> Unknown Accipiter            0              2             15
> Unknown Buteo                0              1             28
> Unknown Falcon               0              0              7
> Unknown Eagle                0              2              4
> Unknown Raptor               0              3             53
>
> Total:                      19           1520          10934

Doug Lockrey, coordinator CMRW