[Ontbirds] good songbirds, 143 raptors, incl. GOLDEN EAGLE harassed by a Rough-legged Hawk, at Cranberry, southwest Whitby--Dec.1/07

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sat Dec 1 17:06:51 EST 2007

Cranberry Marsh, southwest Whitby, Ontario
Daily Raptor Counts: Dec 01, 2007-- 143, GIVING A FINAL TOTAL of 11,109
    (see table below)
We were so happy for Rosemary Harris, in that she got an excellent photo of
a sub-adult Golden Eagle being harassed by a Rough-legged Hawk, it being so
very much smaller.
Of the 34 Rough-leggeds, 5 were dark morphs.

Observation time: 9am to 2pm
Official Counter: Doug Lockrey
Observers: Craig McLauchlan, Rayfield Pye, Ron Pittaway, Rosemary Harris,
Jim McKnight, Charlie Adey
Weather: bitterly cold(-9C) with strong N wind, rising BP; TUV=3
Non-raptor Observations:
snow buntings, 20+common redpolls, n.flicker, 1 Am.pipit, female purple
finch, hairy
woodpecker, swamp sparrow, red-breasted nuthatch,snow goose, scaup, redheads

Raptor Observations: sub-adult Golden Eagle being harassed by a Rough-legged
on high; 4 Bald Eagles, 2 Red Shouldered; Red-taileds and Rough-leggeds
started coming in on 3 flyways; TOTAL of 143 migrating raptors

Doug Lockrey, coordinator CMRW 2007