[Ontbirds]Winter Birds In Orillia

Bob Bowles rbowles at rogers.com
Thu Dec 6 08:08:43 EST 2007

The Bohemian Waxwings and Pine Grosbeaks have cleaned the fruit from the
large crabapple tree at my place and only a few birds return now to pick at
the remains. In fact, the large flocks of waxwings and grosbeaks in Orillia
have moved on and it is now difficult to even find the small flocks that
remain. Bald Eagles can be seen on the waterfront and the first Glaucous
Gull showed up this week at the landfill site but only the large flocks of
Common Redpolls remain. The waxwings fed briefly from American Bittersweet
and buckthorn after running out of the smaller crabapples before moving on.
Several trees are loaded with the larger crabapples but the birds seem to
ignore this food source. It is not worth the drive to Orillia now to see
waxwings and grosbeaks but I will let you know when and if the first Great
Gray Owls arrive in town. This should be between Christmas and New Years
judging from other years. That is if they arrive this winter at all but
conditions seem to be favourable from reports that I have read.

Bob Bowles
Orillia, Ontario