[Ontbirds]Harlequin Duck Point Edward, Lake Huron

Blake A. Mann boatmann at kent.net
Sun Dec 9 12:24:23 EST 2007

Greetings,
This Sunday morning I stopped at Point Edward lookout near Sarnia at first
light.  First duck I looked at was a female HARLEQUIN right along the
shoreline.
Also present were a large number of Long-tailed Ducks, a couple of Surf
Scoters and other common ducks.  There are about a thousand Redhead
(mostly)/Scaup east of Sarnia just offshore.
I saw at least two adult Glaucous Gulls in the area.

On the way home I stopped at Perch Creek CA and encountered 2 BOHEMIAN
WAXWINGS.  Perch Creek CA is SE of Sarnia on Churchill Line, just east of
Blackwell Sideroad.

Closer to home I saw a huge flock of Common Redpolls (~200) on Bickford Line
just east of Kimball Rd. beside the Moore Wildlife CA.  At this CA, I hardly
got out of my car and found a mixed flock of birds including several
Chickadees, Nuthatches, Tree Sparrows, Tufted Titmouse, and at least two
Yellow-rumped Warblers.  A number of Yellow-rumped Warblers winter here
every year in the river valley which has plentiful Poison Ivy berries.

Directions to Point Edward Lakewatch:  Find Front St. in Sarnia (along
river in downtown) and follow it north to St. Clair St. just past the 402
overpass.  Turn left on St. Clair St. and follow it to its very north end in
Point Edward past Michigan Ave.  Turn left on Victoria Ave. and go less than
two blocks to Fort St.  Turn right onto Fort St. and go to the parking lot
at the lake.
Moore Wildlife Area is less than two km east of Kimball Rd (#31) on Bickford
Line, about half way between Wallaceburg and Sarnia.

Blake A. Mann
Wallaceburg
Chatham-Kent, Ontario
boatmannATkentDOTnet