[Ontbirds] Cobourg White-fronted Geese, Lapland Longspurs and Horned larks

Norman Murr normurr at sympatico.ca
Sat Feb 2 18:36:46 EST 2008

Good evening.

 This afternoon Ian Cannell and I went down to Cobourg Harbour in hopes of seeing the White-fronted Geese but with out luck except for a lone Trumpeter Swan, 1 Black Duck and a hundred or so Mallards.

 We then started back towards Port Hope along Hwy 2 and just west of Cobourg we spotted about 1250 Canada Geese in a corn stubbled field and decided to check them out. good move on our part as we found 26 Horned Larks, 6 Lapland Longspurs and as a bonus 4 White-fronted Geese.

 All of these were along Apple Orchard Road that runs north off Hwy 2 about 3 kms west of Cobourg . This road dead ends at farm buildings so if you go try not to block the road.

 We then continued on through Port Hope and through Newcastle finding 14 more Horned Larks, 3 N. Shrike and in Newcastle a Barred and a Great Horned Owl.

Norm Murr
Richmond Hill, ON

"Sils mordent, mords les"