[Ontbirds]Sunday February 3 - Halton Region

Glenn Steplock nature_photography at rogers.com
Mon Feb 4 19:29:28 EST 2008

Took a trip into Burlington to visit my parents, detoured to Walkers line, while loads of berries in the trees, no birds, it was cool and very overcast. There was an abundant of activity on #1 sideroad between Walkers line and Appleby. The most noteable, roughly 30 Snow Buntings flying onto the road back and forth avoiding the cars. I managed some decent shots of these little timid guys in my short stay. Later that afternoon it was down to Woodlands where it was very quiet, then over to Lasalle looking for the Wood Duck, no luck, however a birders paradise for ducs and Geese.

My last stop was the parkette at the end of Guelph Line where we pulled up and immediately, I got a fantastic glimpse of a mature Bald Eagle flying eye level east along the shore line, couldn't get the camera out in time.  The parkette is high above the lake, with a limited view, there were ducks about a 1/2 km out they appeared to be Northern Pintails. I will post what mediocre images I got shortly. It was generally a very overcast day with high fog that wouldn't lift.

Directions:
Burlington is situated off the QEW between Oakville and Hamilton.
#1 Side Road, exit Appleby Line, drive North over #5 highway (Dundas) to the First Side Raod, turn Left and drive slowly, there was a lot of action in the shrubs along the south side. The snow Buntings were on the North side farm fields.
Lasalle Park is at the base of Waterdown Road in Aldershot (Burlington).
Woodlands is behind the RBG center off Plains Road Aldershot (Burlington).

Regrads,
Glenn Steplock
http://www.flickr.com/photos/steplock/