[Ontbirds] migrants are gradually arriving in Thickson's Woods, Whitby--May 2; Purple Finches in N.Pickering

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Fri May 2 13:20:44 EDT 2008

There have been few bird reports from Thickson's of late; I am unable to get there as much as in the past, due to a very bad leg. I shall endeavour to list some of the highlights over the past few days:
Cooper's Hawk, Sharp-shinned Hawk, Belted Kingfisher, Woodpeckers--Downy, Hairy, N.Flicker; E. Wood Pewee, E.Phoebe, Blue-headed Vireo, House Wren, BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER, VEERY, Hermit Thrush, Gray Catbird, Brown Thrasher, Warblers--Nashville, Black-throated Blue, Yellow-rumped, Black-throated Green, Blackburnian, Palm, Pine, Black-and-White, Ovenbird, perhaps Wilson's; E.Towhee, Sparrows--Chipping Sparrow, Savannah, Song, LINCOLN'S, White-throated; Dark-eyed Junco, BALTIMORE ORIOLE.

The Daphne shrub is in full bloom. Vegetation is nearly 2 weeks behind last year.

Over the past 2 weeks Betty Pegg has had regular visits by at least 5 male and 2 female PURPLE FINCHES to her behind-the-house feeders. She is happy to have birder visitors--perhaps phone in advance--I can give you her phone no. Her house is the first house driveway on the south side off Concession 7 to the immediate west of  Westney Rd.

Thickson's Woods--exit the 401 on Thickson Rd. in Whitby---go south toward the lake, turning east as you approach the big White Pine woodlot on the east side.

Doug Lockrey, Whitby, ON