[Ontbirds]Ottawa - Bobolinks, Wilson's Snipe, Greater Yellowlegs

Patrick Blake pjblake22 at hotmail.com
Fri May 9 08:37:19 EDT 2008

Apart from the snipe, I think these may be the first sightings of these two species for the season in the Ottawa region.  I was birding along Earl Armstrong Road in Gloucester this morning before heading out to work.  I first came across three male BOBOLINKS between Bowesville Road and Limebank Road on Earl Armstrong.  They were sitting on the fencing, just minding their own business.
Further down this section of Earl Armstrong, near the first pond on the left, there were two GREATER YELLOWLEGS foraging along the shoreline.  I watched them for several minutes, but did not relocate them on my way back to work later in the morning.

At the intersection of Earl & Bowesville, near the large tree right off the road, there was a single WILSON'S SNIPE hiding in a pool of water.  The snipe was very accommodating, and posed on one of the fence posts for numerous photos.  Later one he took off into the air and put on his winnowing display.

Though not always visible, the BOBOLINKS could be heard the entire length of Earl Armstrong, from Limebank to High Road at the other end.

DIRECTIONS:

Mapquest "Earl Armstrong Road" in Gloucester, ON.