[Ontbirds]Wylie Road - Carden

Couchiching Conservancy nature at couchconservancy.ca
Fri May 9 10:23:33 EDT 2008

Visitors to the Box 10 site on Wylie Road, a traditional spot for Loggerhead Shrikes, will notice a disturbed area in the ditch directly in front of Box 10.  This area was graded recently by the municipality as part of a plan to create some off-road space for cars, and was supposed to have been completed last fall.  We have asked the City not to do any further work until the Shrike nesting season is over.

The Box 10 shrikes are present again this year, but have moved across the road (they did this before several years ago).  Please be careful not to stress the birds, since they are uncomfortably close to the roadway this year.

Most of the other Carden specialities are back as well, and can be seen along Wylie Road and other local roads.  Don't forget about the Carden Challenge coming up May 30-31; eleven teams are registered but there is room for more.  To sponsor a team or celebrity birder Ethan Meleg, you can contact me directly.

Ron Reid
Executive Director, The Couchiching Conservancy
Box 704, Orillia, Ontario, L3V 6K7
(705)326-1620  nature at couchconservancy.ca

Directions:  Wylie Road is about 5 km north of Kirkfield; turn right onto MacNamee Road and you will see the Carden Plain Important Bird Area sign; Wylie Road is just ahead on your left.