[Ontbirds] many birders, few birds--Thickson's--May 10--gray-cheeked thrush, red-headed woodpecker highlights

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sat May 10 14:54:43 EDT 2008

When I arrived at 0800 on May 10 at Thickson's Woods there were 26 cars parked--good sign??!! There was no rain overnight, and after a general stroll we heard very little singing. Did the migrants overpass the woods on their way north? I concentrated on showing people the differences between the leaves and flowers of black and red currant!!

I do not believe anyone saw or heard the Worm-eating warbler.

Some of the avians were RED-HEADED WOODPECKER, Blue-gray gnatcatcher, Rose-breasted grosbeak, Gray catbird, Indigo bunting, GRAY-CHEEKED THRUSH, Philadelphia vireo, and the Wood-warblers included Chestnut-sided, Black-throated blue, Black-throated green, Nashville, Magnolia, Yellow-rumped, Tennessee, Black-and-white, Am.redstart.

Exit 401 at Thickson Rd. in southwest Whitby--south toward the lakefront, turning left at the roadway which parallels the white pine forest.

Doug Lockrey, Whitby,ON