[Ontbirds] Quiet with some "hot spots" at Thickson's--May 11--Red-headed and Red-bellied, Scarlet tanagers etc.

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Sun May 11 10:54:23 EDT 2008

The peripheries of Thickson's Woods proved to be the places to stand today, May 11.
>From 0730 to 1000 I had the pleasure to walk with some keen folk, pointing out wildflowers while listening for warblers.

On the car-park road---Cape May, Yellow, Black-and-White, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Baltimore oriole.

In the southeast corner of the woods, next to the marshland--the frequent bees-bzzzzzz of the Blue-winged warbler in the shrubbery.

At the south-central roadway, in the tall poplars--N.Parula, Nashville, Chestnut-sided, Am.Redstart, Yellow-throated warblers

At the west end of the bird-feeder trail, just inside the gate--Magnolia, Yellow, Pine, Black-throated blue warblers

In the deciduous trees along the "cottage road" on the east side of the woods-- 3 male & 1 female SCARLET TANAGERS, 1 male Baltimore Oriole, 5 Rose-breasted grosbeaks in one tree ay one time; a male RED-HEADED WOODPECKER was seen here all morning. Earlier in the morning a RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER was seen here.

I believe the Worm-eating warbler was seen on Saturday, May 10.

Exit 401 onto Thickson Rd. in southwest Whitby--south toward the lake, parking on or near the roadway which is to the left along the north fringe of the white pine woods.

Doug Lockrey, Whitby,ON