[Ontbirds]Arctic Tern, Ottawa

Paul.Matthews at statcan.ca Paul.Matthews at statcan.ca
Thu May 29 12:03:29 EDT 2008

This morning, Tony Beck and his group discovered an adult breeding-plumaged Arctic Tern feeding over the Deschênes Rapids on the Ottawa River. We viewed the bird from a spot a couple of hundred metres west of Britannia Point, which seemed to be the best vantage point. Although we'd briefly lost the bird when I left at 9:30 AM, it's probably still there. Note that, although binoculars were sufficient to identify the bird (for tern-experienced birders), a scope was necessary for good views. Note also that at least a couple of Common Terns were in the area as well. There were also a couple of Bonaparte's Gulls among the many Ring-Billed.

Paul Matthews, Ottawa

Directions: From 417 west, exit Pinecrest north, then turn right on Richmond then left on Poulin. After the 90 degree bend, turn right (north) on Britannia, go round the construction detour and turn right (east) on Cassels. You can park right at the end of Cassels (inside the filtration plant)--this is Britannia Point, but parking is very limited and you might be better off parking outside the plant on Cassels and proceeding on foot.