[Ontbirds]Upland Sandpiper, Blue-Winged Warbler - Coboconk

RON FLEMING flemingron at rogers.com
Tue Jul 1 21:41:17 EDT 2008

Had some interesting breeding birds along Northline Road between Coboconk and Rosedale this weekend, including one Upland Sandpiper, one Blue-winged Warbler, two Clay-colored Sparrows, and several Brown Thrashers, Grasshopper Sparrows and Bobolinks.  The sandpiper, warbler, and CC sparrows were on the west side of the road just south of house #1190, in the general vicinity of the cart track that runs west into the fields there.  I wandered in about 15 metres to look at the warbler and, to my pleasant surprise, flushed the sandpiper.

  Cycling the Baseline Rd. just east of Coboconk on Saturday I had a Broad-winged Hawk, two Pileated Woodpeckers, and a moose(!).

  Coboconk is only about 15-20 minutes west of the Carden Alvar, where #48 meets Hwy. 35.
  Driving south out of Coboconk (toward Lindsay) you go up a hill (active Osprey nest on the east side of #35). To reach Northline Rd., turn left (east) at the top of the hill onto the 7th Concession of Somerville.  It runs east to meet Northline Rd.  Travel south about 5 or 6 kms to reach #1190.

  Coboconk is part of the Kawartha Lakes, an excellent area for weekend naturalists to explore.  It is about 90 minutes northeast of Toronto.

  Ron Fleming, Newmarket