[Ontbirds] Algonquin Park - 8 Warblers, Lincoln's Sparrow, Bittern, Merlin amongst others.

Lev Frid lev.frid at gmail.com
Sat Aug 2 21:50:37 EDT 2008

Hello Birders,

I had a great day birding Algonquin Park this morning. Fall Migration is
well underway with mixed foraging flocks common in many parts of Algonquin
Park. Today, amongst the chickadees, kinglets and nuthatches in the flocks
at West Rose Lake and Wolf Howl Pond, I discovered the following Warblers:

Black-Throated Blue
Black Throated Green
Black-and-White
Magnolia
Northern Parula
Yellow-Rumped
American Redstart
and Ovenbird

Also at Wolf Howl Pond there were two LINCOLN'S SPARROWS, SWAMP SPARROWS a
RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD and a fly-by MERLIN amongst more common species.

At Mew Lake, I observed an AMERICAN BITTERN in the sedges bordering the
eastern side of the lake.

At the Old Airfield, I observed once again a LINCOLN'S SPARROW. The total
number of species seen today was 36. Not bad for early August!

Also, at Ringneck Pond, I observed a big bull MOOSE feeding on lilies and
water-shield.

Photographs:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/levfrid/2726183957/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/levfrid/2726602790/

Directions:

Algonquin Park is three hours north of Toronto, via Highways 400, 11 and 60.
Follow the signs, which start in Toronto on Highway 400.

The West Rose Lake and Wolf Howl Pond section of the Mizzy Lake trail
can be accessed by driving down Arowhon Road and turning right onto an
abandoned railway bed.
Park your car without blocking access to the locked gate and continue
to Wolf Howl Pond and West Rose Lake.

Good Birding,
Lev Frid,
Maple, ON