[Ontbirds] OFO Field trip to Rock Point and Eastern Shore Lake Erie August 10

john black black at brocku.ca
Sun Aug 10 18:05:03 EDT 2008

Sunday's outing was attended by 25 participants. We saw a total of 71 species. The trip started at 0800 hours and ended at 1430 hours.

We began at Rock Point where we had 9 species of shore birds. Notable were 1 White-rumped Sandpiper and 2 Ruddy Turnstones.  From there we went to the Mosaic Esterhazy Lagoons (about a 10 minute drive) and added 3 Short-billed Dowitchers, a Pectoral Sandpiper and about 10 Greater Yellowlegs.  Unfortunately there was no sign of the Hudsonian Godwit seen earlier in the week. Marsh Wren was a lifer for one group, and at the exit we had excellent looks at a Yellow-billed Cuckoo, a lifer for another group.  After lunch in Stromness we visited the sod farms and had about 10 Black-bellied Plovers in one field.  Then it was on to Morgan's Point and there the rain finally caught up with us as we studied a Cooper's Hawk. We persisted in th rain to a rocky point just east of Morgan's Point where we had good looks at a group of Semi-palmated and Least Sandpipers.

Special thanks to Mosaic Esterhazy for permitting us to
enter their lagoons.

John Black and Dan Salisbury

--

John Black