[Ontbirds]Blenheim Lagoons----100's of Shorebirds present

Irene Woods irewoods at ciaccess.com
Wed Aug 20 09:49:46 EDT 2008

Hello birders:
As recently posted by Blake Mann, the Blenheim Lagoons are presently
in peak condition for migrating shorebirds and other bird species.
Here we have 5 ponds of water + 5 irrigation cells. A map is placed in
the front cover of our "record book" as you enter--the SMALL gate.
Check out the recent sightings--it really helps & can save you time.
Also--there has been no recent mowing there, and so there is an
abundance of blooming wildflowers. Therefore, a nice selection of
butterflies & dragonflies to add to your walk.
There are many Sandpiper species + Dowitchers + Wilson's Phalaropes [4],
+ Great Blue Herons + Great Egrets + an amazing 6 Green Herons +
Juv. Black-crowned Night Herons, etc.
Ducks: apart from the Mallard, these are scarce at the moment.
Overhead we saw Osprey, Rough -Legged Hawk [ black morph],
Red-Tailed Hawk, Cormorant, etc.
Our weather map shows "no rain" for the next 6 days ! Can you believe that !
To get your permit quickly, just send an email to Candy at the Municipal Centre.
She needs your name, address, phone number.
She will email you right back with the permit--which you print.
         candym at chatham-kent.ca
Directions to follow--------                     Cheers,    Irene

Irene Woods
irewoods at ciaccess.com
Blenheim, ON
Chatham-Kent Municipality

Directions, courtesy of Blake Mann:

Lagoon Directions:  Exit 401 at #90 (Communications Rd.) and head into
Blenheim.  At the main stoplight turn right (west) onto Rd. 3.  Travel about
1.5 km and turn right (north) onto Lagoon Rd. at the carwash, and continue
north about 1 km to gate.  You must have an annual permit to enter.
 Available at the Municipal Service Centre, 35 Talbot St. in Blenheim,
during  business hours, fax (519) 676-0244.