[Ontbirds] Toronto Islands - OFO outing scheduled for Saturday August 30.

Ian Cannell cannell at rogers.com
Sun Aug 24 09:58:55 EDT 2008

The OFO outing to the Toronto Islands will take place on Saturday August 30,
2008.

Please note two changes to the original information provided:

1. We will catch the 7:30am ferry to Ward's Island (not 7:15).

   The ferry ride takes only about 10 minutes.

2. The ferry prices have increased slightly. They are now $6:50 for an adult
and $4:00 for seniors and students. All fares are return fares.

As noted previously, you will need these amounts in CHANGE.

You must obtain your ticket from a machine just inside the gate so be sure
to have $1.00 and $2.00 and / or 25 cent coins before you arrive at the
docks as there is no place to get change and the machine does not make
change. (There is a change machine (up to a $20 bill) there if you want to
chance it).

We will bird around Ward's Island and then gradually wend our way over to
Hanlan's Point, from where we will take the ferry back to Toronto.

We can expect to see a good cross-section of warblers and other migrants.

This could take all day, if the birding is good, but anybody who wishes to
leave at any time during the day can take return ferries from Ward's, Centre
Island or Hanlan's Point.

For a detailed ferry schedule check the following web site.

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/island/summerschedule.htm

Directions:

The Toronto Ferry Docks are located at the foot of Bay Street in Toronto.

Bay Street is on the East side of Union Station and from there it takes only
about 15 minutes to walk south on Bay to the ferry docks.

Or, from Union Station take the 509 Harbourfront streetcar south to the Bay
and Queen's Quay Stop.

Alternatively, take the Bay Bus #6 southbound from the corner of Front and
Bay to the Bay and Queen's Quay stop.

The entrance to the ferry docks is on the south side of the street, just
west of the Westin Harbour Castle hotel.

Parking (fee) is available 1 block north of the docks on the west side of
Bay, at Lakeshore.

or, 1 block west on Queens Quay between Bay and York Sts,

or, 1 block east of Bay, on Queen's Quay, opposite the Toronto Star building
and adjacent to Captain Johns restaurant.

There are washrooms on the islands as well as the city side at the ferry
docks.

The Kitchen Table store opens at 6am and sells coffee and food. It is
located across from the ferry docks, on the north side of Queen's Quay,
about 100 metres east of Bay.

Food and beverages on The Islands are very expensive e.g. soft drinks $3.00
plus. So, I recommend that you bring beverages and food adequate for the
time that you expect to stay on the Islands.

After a couple of hours birding Ward's Island, we will take a short break at
the picnic tables beside the Fire Station, where the soft drink machine
sells coke, juice, iced tea, etc. for $1.25 and up. Washrooms are also
available here.

If you have any questions, you can reach me at home: 905-660-4533, or on my
cell phone: 416-722-0433, or, of course, via email at
<mailto:Cannell at rogers.com> Cannell at rogers.com

Thanks to Norm Murr for much of the information in this email.

Ian Cannell.

.