[Ontbirds] Mitchell (West Perth) Wetlands - PLOVERS, DOWITCHER, PHALAROPE, STILT

The Browns thebrowns at ezlink.ca
Wed Sep 3 12:52:49 EDT 2008

Hi All,

Managed to get out to the Mitchell (West Perth) wetlands today with Mark Cunningham and shorebird numbers remain steady...with decent species diversity.  The majority of birds can be found in the very back pond.

Shorebird species spotted included:
Dowitcher sp. (1)
(Likely a Short-billed...though getting a bit late...we didn't get a very good look at the bird as it was all the way across the pond and somewhat backlit)
Wilson's Snipe (2)
Black-bellied Plover (10)
American Golden Plover (2)
Wilson's Phalarope (1)
Stilt Sandpiper (1)
Solitary Sandpiper (3)
Spotted Sandpipier (1)
Semi-Palmated Sandpiper (sev)
Semi-Palmated Plover (1)
Greater Yellowlegs (sev)
Lesser Yellowlegs (lots)
Killdeer (lots)

Shore bird habitat in this back pond remains excellent..

The Hudsonian Godwits and Red-necked Phalaropes were not seen this morning and have likely moved on.

Good birding!
Dave

Directions to Mitchell (West Perth) Wetlands:

>From the East (Guelph, Kitchener-Waterloo, GTA) - take Hwy 8 thru
Stratford heading west to first lights in Mitchell (Wellington St) and
turn left (south) and continue till you hit the "T" intersection at the
ball diamond.  Lagoon cells are straight back behind the ball diamond
and soccer fields and the sewage treatment plant.  You can go straight ahead
on the gravel and park next to the berm.

>From the London area....take Hwy 23 into Mitchell from the south and
just after you pass the "Welcome to Mitchell" sign...watch for Frank
St...go right on Frank St and head down over the bridge till you get to
the ball diamond (will be on your right).  Again...the cells are behind
the ball diamond and soccer fields. You can go straight ahead
on the gravel and park next to the berm.

>From Southampton area....take Hwy 21, to Goderich and then Hwy 8 to
Clinton and down to Mitchell, turn south on Hwy 23 to Frank St. and turn
left on Frank St. and head over the bridge to the ball diamonds (which
will be on your right). You can go straight ahead on the gravel and park
next to the berm.