[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (04 Sep 2008) 45 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Fri Sep 5 01:09:53 EDT 2008

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 04, 2008

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0              0              0
Osprey                       7             19             20
Bald Eagle                   0              3              5
Northern Harrier             3              5              5
Sharp-shinned Hawk          17             78             80
Cooper's Hawk                0              0              0
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk            0              1              9
Red-tailed Hawk              0              0              2
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            17             41             57
Merlin                       1              1              1
Peregrine Falcon             0              0              0
Unknown Accipiter            0              0              0
Unknown Buteo                0              0              0
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                      45            148            179

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end   time: 14:30:00
Total observation time: 7.5 hours

Official Counter:        Dave Brown

Observers:        Barb Logan, Keith Sealy, Mary Carnahan, Mel Logan,
                  Ronnie Goodhand, Su Ross-Redmond

Visitors:
A few visitors today including Barb and Mel Logan, Jennifer Dow, Andrea
Pember and others whose names I didn't catch.  Thanks to all the usual
volunteers that were out today to help.

Weather:
Another warm day but very hazy with quite a bit of higher cloud cover.
Winds were moderate...started favourably from the NE but quickly shifted to
the E and eventually to the SE. Temp to 23C.

Raptor Observations:
Not a bad flight for the day with a total of 45 birds. Several Osprey (7)
today...at one point we had 5 zip along the cliff just minutes apart.
Sharpies (17) and Kestrels (17) were tied...Harriers (3) and the last bird
for the day was a Merlin making a run at the last Sharpie of the day.

Non-raptor Observations:
LOTS of warblers and other passerines around today...Cape May (sev),
Blackpoll (sev), Black-throated Blue (2), Magnolia (1), Wilsons (1) and a
possible Prairie (it had been seen by other observers on the previous
day)...and many more that didn't get identified. A large flock of Cedar
Waxwings on the mulberry tree was entertaining, several Tufted Titmouse
(family group perhaps?) along the roadway, Red-headed Woodpecker (adult),

Predictions:
Friday looks too wet for much of a flight. Saturday could bring some birds
if the predicted winds start NW or N and it doesn't rain.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to the
right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley. As
you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road with
a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to the
first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line. Follow
Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at Hawkes
Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area