[Ontbirds]RE Herons, Egret at Wildwood Conservation Area

Ken Clarke kennclarkebirds at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 7 09:34:09 EDT 2008

Folks

Wildwood Conservation Area in northern Oxford County is becoming interesting for migrants. The water is going down as it does when the Conservation Authority opens the dam's flood gates after labour Day and the mudflats are reappearing at the far southeastern end of the lake north of Harrington. Over the last few days on several occasions I have seen at least 5 juvenile Black-crowned Knight Herons and an adult that have taken up residence in the riffle at the far eastern end of the berm at the Harrington end of the lake. They may be seen quietly fishing at water edge or, when flushed by fisherpersons, flying away. But one Great Egret has appeared so far. The cawing of Caspian Terns is the first thing to great you as you walk out of the forest into the open. There are a number of shorebirds on the flats, but without a scope and in the fading light, I identified Killdeer and Lesser Yellowlegs by call; others were present.

Directions: Best viewing is from the berm east off Oxford Line 31, 800 m. north of Oxford Road 96. The trail is 400 m south of the bridge across the river. Look for fisherpersons. Go as far as you can without getting wet. Harrington is near St. Marys.

Must fly

Ken Clarke
Stratford, ON
kennclarkebirds at hotmail.com