[Ontbirds]170 Great Egrets roosting at Luther Marsh

Weseloh,Chip [Ontario] Chip.Weseloh at ec.gc.ca
Mon Sep 8 10:29:39 EDT 2008

Last night (7 September), Linda McLaren and I counted 170+ Great Egrets
as they came in to roost at the north end of Luther Marsh. We were there
from approximately 710 - 800 PM. Most egrets came in right at..or a bit
after ..official sunset. They roosted in small (5-10-15') bushes and
trees that appeared to be in standing water. Others egrets appeared to
roost standing in that water. We also had about 6 Black-crowned
Night-Herons and 2 American Bitterns. Linda and members of the Upper
Credit Naturalist's Club counted approximately 150 Great Egrets, 6
night-herons and 8 Great Blue herons at the same location on Friday (5
September).

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has historical information on
this roosting site.

Directions: From Grand Valley, west of Orangeville, take Hwy 25 north to
8-9 Concession, turn left and go to Sideroad 21-22, turn right and go to
the 2nd designated Luther Marsh access road - both of them will be on
your left and are signed. Park at the 2nd entrance and hike in on the
path for about 300-400 m. The egrets roost off to your right, across a
water channel in low trees/bushes. There will be water with dead trees
off to your left.  It's best to arrive after 715 PM, so there will be a
few egrets in the roost for you to see where they will congregate.

Good luck,

Chip

Phone-416-739-5846
Fax-416-739-5845
Cell-416-518-4329
chip.weseloh at ec.gc.ca

A poor day in the field is better than a good day in the office !