[Ontbirds]HSR: Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch (08 Sep 2008) 101 Raptors

reports at hawkcount.org reports at hawkcount.org
Mon Sep 8 22:09:32 EDT 2008

Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch
Port Stanley, Ontario, Canada
Daily Raptor Counts: Sep 08, 2008

Black Vulture                0              0              0
Turkey Vulture               0              0              0
Osprey                       2             33             34
Bald Eagle                   6             20             22
Northern Harrier             3             28             28
Sharp-shinned Hawk          15            208            210
Cooper's Hawk                0              0              0
Northern Goshawk             0              0              0
Red-shouldered Hawk          0              0              0
Broad-winged Hawk            0             23             31
Red-tailed Hawk              0              1              3
Rough-legged Hawk            0              0              0
Golden Eagle                 0              0              0
American Kestrel            74            186            202
Merlin                       1             12             12
Peregrine Falcon             0              0              0
Unknown Accipiter            0              7              7
Unknown Buteo                0              1              1
Unknown Falcon               0              0              0
Unknown Eagle                0              0              0
Unknown Raptor               0              0              0

Total:                     101            519            550

Observation start time: 06:30:00
Observation end   time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter:        Colin Horstead

Observers:        Ernie Gribble, Mark Cunningham, Mary Carnahan,
                  Ronnie Goodhand, Wayne Parnall

Visitors:
A few visitors today including Cheryl & Wayne C. (Peterborough) and Jim
Dunn....and thanks to the usual gang...Wayne, Ronnie, Mary, Ernie, Mark and
Colin.

Weather:
A cloudless sky to begin the day...then clouding over as the afternoon wore
on. Winds were light from the W to start then strengthened as they swung
round to the S. Temp to a high of 23C.

Raptor Observations:
A decent flight today with a 101 birds. Kestrels (74) lead the way. Only a
couple of Osprey...a single Merlin and just 3 Harriers. Sharpies (15) were
a bit low in numbers today...but we did see another 6 immature Bald Eagles.

Non-raptor Observations:
Highlights for passerines...Red-bellied Woodpecker (2), Common Nighthawk
(1), lots of Cedar Waxwings, Red-throated Hummingbirds continue to move
through the hawkwatch area.

Predictions:
Tuesday may be interesting IF the rain moves far enough east overnight.
Winds are predicted to be moderate NW and N...with cloud and sunny periods.
Report submitted by Dave Brown (thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca)
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch information may be found at:
http://www.ezlink.on.ca/~thebrowns/HawkCliff/index.htm

Site Description:
Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch:
Oldest Hawkwatch in Ontario - since 1931 - located just east of Port
Stanley on the cliff overlooking Lake Erie

Directions to site:
>From east 401, take the Highbury south cut off at London, follow Highbury
(Hwy 30) south to St. Thomas. Highbury changes into South Edgeware at a
large curve in the road to the west. Follow South Edgeware west to the
first set of traffic lights - Burwell Road, turn left (south) and stay on
this road. It becomes Fairview Ave (Regional Road 22), which runs directly
into Hawk Cliff Road. You will see a sign for Hawkes Cliff Farm, where they
sell fresh vegetables and a gravel road just beyond sign. Just continue
down gravel road to viewing area.

>From west 401, take the Highway # 4 (Colonel Talbot Rd.) exit south,
through Talbotville, road now is Sunset Rd. continue towards St. Thomas;
you will come to a veer in the road, straight up to St. Thomas, veer to the
right for Port Stanley, follow Highway 4, now Sunset to Port Stanley. As
you approach Port Stanley you will come to a large curve  in the road with
a sign saying East St, to the left. Take East St., and follow it to the
first road left, (opposite Port Stanley Water Tower) Dexter Line. Follow
Dexter Line approximately 2 km. and turn right down gravel road at Hawkes
Cliff Farm, and follow gravel road to viewing area