[Ontbirds]Juvenile MISSISSIPPI KITE - Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch

Tracey&Dave Brown thebrowns at ezlink.on.ca
Tue Sep 9 21:10:22 EDT 2008

Hi All,

This afternoon at the Hawk Cliff Hawkwatch we were treated to a Juvenile MISSISSIPPI KITE passing by at treetop level and less than a couple of hundred feet to to the north of us.  This provided great lighting on the bird (especially through my scope!)...and it was in no hurry as it coasted into a moderate NW wind.  Unfortunately, none of the usual group of photographers were around to get shots of the bird.

I wanted to get this post out to give those at Leamingotn, Pt Pelee, Holiday Beach and Erie Metro Park the heads up.  The bird was recorded at 2:15 EST....and with the nicer weather this afternoon it may have got another couple of hours flying time under its belt.

I suspect that this bird will stay pretty much along the Lake Erie shoreline...especially given winds in the region are predicted to be N 15kph for Wednesday morning.

Good Birding!
Dave Brown
Hawk Cliff Foundation
thebrowns at ezlink.ca