[Ontbirds] red-shouldered among 288 migrating hawks, many spngbirds at Cranberry-Sep.9,10

Doug Lockrey lockrey33 at rogers.com
Wed Sep 10 18:14:31 EDT 2008

Cranberry Marsh
sw Whitby, Ontario, Canada--south roadside parking area on Hall's Rd.

Tuesday, Sep.9/08
Observation  time: 0800-1530 EST
Official Counter:     Doug Lockrey,Ross Lamb, Geoff Carpentier
Observers:   many

With winds out of the NW, thermals of 300ft./min. and a rising BP it was wonderful to see 178 migrating hawks, along with absolutely thousands of dragonflies and hundreds of Monarchs
.
Non-raptor Observations: many r-t Hummingbirds, a platform-visiting VIRGINIA RAILand many warblers.

Wednesdat, Sep.10/08
Observation time-0800-1330EST
Official counter-Geoff Carpentier
Observers--many

With thermals of 300ft./min. and a rising BP we had a continuum of yesterday, in spite of light S winds, with 110 migrating hawks, including our first RED-SHOULDERED

>From the 401 eastbound, exit at Salem Rd. in Ajax, south to Bayly, the east through Lakeridge Rd. to the first street beyond-Hall's Rd.--south toward the lake to t  .e second roadside parking area. From the 401 westbound--exit at Brock St. in Whitby, south to Victoria St., west right through to Hall's Rd.

Species                            Sep.9&10Count    Month Total   Season Total
------------------ --------------          ----------------      -----------------     ------------------
Black Vulture(BV)                       0                  0                      0
Turkey Vulture(TV)                     32                  34                    39
Osprey(OS)                                13                 33                   89
Bald Eagle(BE)                           5                 7                     7
Northern Harrier (NH)                  6                  8                     13
Sharp-shinned Hawk (SS)           150              183                  226
Cooper's Hawk (CH)                   3                6                       11
Northern Goshawk (NG)             0                 0                         0
Red-shouldered Hawk(RS)        1                 1                        1
Broad-winged Hawk(BW)         4                 5                         8
Red-tailed Hawk(RT)                  1                2                        9
Rough-legged Hawk (RL)          0                 0                          0
Golden Eagle(GE)                      0                 0                        0
American Kestrel (AK)               61               73                       84
Merlin(ML)                                4                 9                        10
Peregrine Falcon (PG)                 0                 1                        2
Unknown Accipiter (UA)             0                  0                        3
Unknown Buteo (UB)                  0                  0                        1
Unknown Falcon(UF)                 0                   0                         1
Unknown Eagle (UE)                 0                   0                         0
Unknown Raptor(UR)                3                  8                         10

Total:                                      288               370                     514